Friday, February 19, 2010

Well Worth Another Try - Tröegs Nugget Nectar (PA)

Everyone needs the occasional second chance. Yes, I'm still talking about beer and not love lost or something generally emo like that. In this case, I'm talking about Tröegs Nugget Nectar.

Anyone familiar with this beer might be a bit surprised by this statement. I mean hell, BeerAdvocate rates it in their "best of," stacking it up against the likes of Russian River Valley, Stone, and a bevvy of Belgian Doubles, Tripels, and Quads that put even the above average brew to shame, leaving it quivering in the deep, dark recesses of beer purgatory.

Here's the thing. I just wasn't impressed the first time I had it. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was a bad day, or the weather was gloomy, or something had so annihilated my ability to taste that I was left blind to the deliciousness enclosed in the 12 oz bottle I bought at a local bar. Something just didn't do it for me. I gave it an initially average review and buried it under a pile of praises I had reserved for other Tröegs' beer like Mad Elf.

Then some glorious person on Twitter alerted me to an event occurring at Carlisle's own Market Cross Pub: on some random night throughout the week, Nugget Nectar would be served for a limited time from a Firkin. I was excited, not only to find out what the hell a "firkin" was, but also to taste this beer. "A Limited Time" in the beer world typically means there's something delicious and rare going on; it's not often that one hears "A Limited Time: Pitchers of Yuengling," particularly in Central Pennsylvania.

It turns out that a firkin is basically a keg laid horizontally, but corked after pressurizing rather than covered with the typical tap. This goes back to the days where "tap the keg" meant "smack the wooden keg with a huge freaking hammer so everyone can drink." The difference is, wooden kegs are a rarity these days so the firkin is one of those novelties within the beer world that people flock to get a pint from.

I arrived at Market Cross about twenty minutes after the firkin was delivered and tapped. Naturally, the thing was frothing like there was no tomorrow and the beer had been shaken up. Regardless, I had a pint poured (yes, Market Cross serves legitimate English-style pints) and let it sit for a bit. Once it did though, I was treated to a bit of aesthetic beery-goodness.

Listening down the bar, I heard the complaints of those who I am sure are a bit more familiar with that yellow fizzy stuff that comes in a can: "It's too cloudy." I don't know if I've clearly expressed it yet in this blog, but cloudy beer is generally something of legendary and epic status in my mind. It makes me go "Hey, there are ingredients in this beer! And the brewer actually cares!" Mostly, this is a result of loving Unibroue and their Ale-on-Lees style. Regardless, I looked to the bartender, who merely commented "Well, that's the best part!" I wanted to shake his hand.

Anyhow. It was a cloudy reddish orange with a minimal head (once the effects of the truck ride over subsided). Strangely enough, it left a ton of lacing once I started drinking it. The nose is very floral and citrusy with some caramel hints as well.

As for drinking it: it begins with some pine and then, slowly but surely, a grapefruit-esque citrus taste with a backing of hops starts to emerge. Then a nice chewy caramel and spiciness comes around with a bit of alcohol (it's a 7.5%ABV). Overall a fun series of tastes to have hit you.

So on second review, yes, I really do enjoy this beer. This isn't as family friendly as the Mad Elf, but for people into some serious beer, I'd recommend it.

Tröegs' Brewing - Nugget Nectar: ****/***** (4 out of 5 stars)
Image Accessed At: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3398/3251992966_2de65dcb20.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment