Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Beer Even an Anarchist Would Love - Founder's Brewing Nemesis Anti-Establishment Ale (MI)



Imagine if Marx, Che, Malcolm X, Susan B. Anthony (and about ten other historical figures who shouted the proverbial "We're not going to take it" all while offering a serious backhand to any sense of "societal norms") all got together and made a beer. Then add an ABV about as epic as anything Teddy Roosevelt ever did, make it smell and taste like maple, and you're about scratching the surface of this beer: Founder's Brewing Company's Nemesis Wheat Wine "Anti-Establishment" Ale (2009 bottling).

I poured this into my trusty Piraat glass and witnessed a very nice and cloudy copper-toned wheat wine beer. I've had barley wines before, so I was anticipating good things. The head is relatively minimal, but leaves a fair amount of lacing. The scent, like I suspected was very maple-filled along with some hints of bourbon. Go figure: Founder's ages the beer (or wheat wine, technically) in bourbon barrels.

The taste really sold this brew for me. You automatically get a serious hit of dark caramels and light maple flavor. Then, while you're still reeling a bit from that taste, you notice the bourbon. The aftertaste (a word which I think needs to be viewed in a more positive light at times) is great. Imagine a great sip of Maker's Mark right after you cracked the bottle: warming, flavorful, and overall, just great. There is a bit of an alcohol taste present, but the rest of the flavors tend to overwhelm it.

The sentence on the bottle states "Every batch diabolically brewed to decimate ordinary-average-run-of-the-mill tasting beer." They hit the nail on the head with that. Try this beer and you will not be disappointed. My only caution: this is a slow sipper. As I'm still enjoying this beer, I have the feeling it might catch up to me in about a half hour.

Founders - Nemesis Anti-Establishment Ale (Michigan) ****1/2/***** (4 1/2 out of 5 stars)
Image Accessed At: http://foundersbrewing.com/founders/images/stories/nemesis-bottle.png

No comments:

Post a Comment